Rev. David Parker- Mr.Jayhawk

I am very fortunate to attend a church whose minister is a huge basketball fan. In fact for most of my adult life, my ministers have been big sports fans. First we had Rev. Norm Myer (Michigan State), and now Rev. David Parker (Kansas). So the First Presbyterian Church in Galesburg definitely has done a good job in searching for ministers as far as I am concerned!

David Parker is not just a Kansas fan, he is a passionate Kansas fan. When he was interviewed, the Illini fans noticed he had a picture of Bill Self on his den wall. So obviously David must have been impressive in the interview for the Illini fans to accept someone who liked Bill Self.

Since Wisconsin seldom dips into the Big 12, I have few conflicts with David. But as you will see in this interview when I ask him theology questions, he does have some real confusion about Wisconsin. Most of us are aware that a call from Wisconsin to Heaven is not a long distance call- it is in the same area code!!

You seem to be more of a bball fan than football, is that pretty normal for Kansas people?
There are a few weird people in Kansas that bleed purple and because of that they seem to believe there is another sport other than basketball in Kansas. For those who are human in form and superior in being, Crimson and Blue basketball is where it’s at. Rock Chalk Jayhawks!


Who are your all-time favorite Kansas players?
Danny Manning is at the top of the list, followed by Raef LaFrentz, Jacque Vaughn, Jared Hasse & Kirk Hinrich, and most recently Sheron Collins and Mario Chalmers. 

Today, is there any team in America that Carolina could play and you would root for Carolina?
There's probably a handful of teams, but the only one that I can think of for sure is DUKE. I can't stand those guys. Ever. With Mizzu moving to the SEC, pretty sure I'd root for UNC over them now too.


 You have had an opportunity to have contact with Bill Self. How did that happen? What is your impression of Bill Self?
 I've met Bill a couple times. The first time was through a member of my wife's church in Oklahoma. He is the father of Bill's roommate when Self was at Oklahoma State. we met after they took a beating, no...a throttling...in Stillwater. He wasn't happy, but the three other people wearing blue in that gym weren't happy either. the second time we met was last New Year's Eve. I'd like to say we partied together, but we didn't. My eldest son, Will, was taking a holiday clinic from him and while we were waiting to go in he stopped by and talked to us. He's very down to earth, a real home-spun guy, and not "selfish" like bitter Illini fans would have you believe.


 Have you recently gotten to see Kansas at Allen Fieldhouse? How was that?
 Last time I was at Allen Fieldhouse was on Jan 2, 2011...a game with my son, father and two brothers. The experience was well, amazing, but if you're not from KS or you don't really follow basketball you wouldn't understand. For those from Illinois, let me give you a clue: THIS IS THE BIRTHPLACE OF BASKETBALL! 


 What is your favorite all-time KU basketball memory?
 Well, most recently it was the 2008 championship game over "cheaters" Derick Rose, John Calipari and the Memphis Tigers, and the 1988 championship over billy "Loud Mouth" Tubbs and the Oklahoma Sooners. Probably the absolute best, though, was KU whopping up on UNC on the road to win the championship in 2008. Having our benchwarmer, Cole Aldrich, hold UNC's darling Tyler Hansborough throughout the whole game was just about the best thing ever.


 How does your wife deal with your sports obsessions?
Since Sarah is from Manhattan she's had to get over the fact that I'm die hard KU. She likes to watch the games with me, and even will text me scores if I'm away. (like I'm not already checking them on my phone!)


 You are coaching your son's basketball team. What seems to be the unforeseen challenges you have to face doing that? What is fun about it?
Our team is made up of both 3rd and 4th graders, but I'm a little surprised at the skill difference in just one year. Maybe another challenge is making sure I'm not too hard on my son. I'm not one of those coaches who likes to coddle his son, I'm probably more the opposite to a fault, but regardless it is fun. I find that I'm really at home back on the court and enjoy teaching the boys. I did coach JV at Tucker High School in Atlanta, GA when I was first out of college, so its fun to get back into it. I also feel a special connection because my dad coached me from 6th-8th grade and I'm happy to share this time with my own son.


 What advice would you give to parents of children in sports?
Uh, chill out. In the grand scheme of things it IS just a game. I would rather teach positive models of winning  humbly, losing with dignity, and working your hardest in everything. These are lessons the kids can take from the court to school and out into life. Your child will most likely NOT be a superstar in any sport, so put some more effort into helping them with their school work. The rest will come. 


As a minister, are there times when player's prayers bother you or times when they make you feel inspired?
Wow, okay so this is a loaded question. Ok, so here's where I'm at: If players want to pray regarding their sports performance, that's fine. But  I don't believe God really cares about your 20-yard scramble for a TD. that's right, I said it: I don't think God cares. In sports there has to be at least one loser. If both teams are praying for God to help them win, what does that say about God when one team wins and one team loses? Our problem is we have come to believe that we are "favored" by God if we win, or score a touchdown, or make a three-pointer (or 47). In reality, God doesn't favor us in these ways. God is about the eternal, and even though I may want to hold on to all of KU's championships, God doesn't. Those aren't eternal. 

So, in short...I don't ever get inspired by a player's prayer. If a team wants to ask God to help them do their best, then I believe that's a legitimate prayer, otherwise I think we're wasting our time (and bended knees). 


Is there a Bible verse you think either players or coaches would be good to remember? 
Here are some thoughts:
For Coach Massey, Purlee, Jerry Tarkanian, Ben Howland and countless other bald coaches: 
Lev. 13:40 "When a man has lost his hair and is bald he is clean." (For those unaware, clean was the best one could be--purest.)

For John Calipari, Joe Paterno,  Quin Snyder (former Missouri coach), George O'Leary, etc.       
Proverbs 10:9, "the man of integrity walks securely, but he who takes crooked paths will be found out."


And a final reminder: Jesus always defeated the Demons and Devils (whether red or blue), Rams  and TarHeels  were sacrificed daily, the Badger was only good for skin for the tent of the tabernacle (see Exodus), God's only reminder to himself was the Rainbows, and the Revelation of John includes images of Jayhawks and Illini as important figures in the picture of eternal heaven!


Surely next time there is a Wisconsin minister out there some place. Thanks, Rev. Parker.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Team Basketball Gameseva

600 x 400 px | 286.65 kB  Team Basketball GameSeva: Revolutionizing Sports Entertainment and Engagement In the ever-evolving landscape ...