Early in the season our practices are longer. As the season goes on they become game oriented. We will work on attacking upcoming opponents.
As practices get shorter we go 1on1 with players, we break things down and go a little slower. We get more shots up, work on technique and try and save their legs and keep them fresh.
We also change things up, you don’t want to be the same all the time, the players will get bored and so will you.
Some of the drills I do are a result of me being around some outstanding coaches while being the Head Coach of the US team.
Playing against international teams made us develop our system to beat a different style of play.
I decided to bring Wojo and Collins so they could work players out. Didn’t do it in 2006 and I felt our practices weren’t as good.
Wojo and Collins teamed up with McMillan and D’Antoni to assist in scouting reports in order to make sure the terminology was what I could understand.
Most players on the US team worked out in the morning went to practice then worked out in the evening.
US Team players wanted to be coached.
Coach Knight encouraged Coach K when he took over the US Team by telling him that you are better at what you do than they are at what they do. So don’t hold back.
U must adapt each year even if you return the same team.
There are certain core values in any system that always work. Unselfishness, hard work, developing trust.
Team Standards: The way in which you live and hold others accountable to live the same way
When you have rules it’s always your rule, it never becomes their rule. So we have standards.
Individually met with Lebron, Kobe, DWade, and Jason Kidd, the night before their first team meeting. Talked to them individually about how the team is going to live. He wanted the four players to contribute to the meeting because it was their team.
When Lebron spoke he said there are no excuses. “I’ve always wanted to play with these guys, I don’t have them in Cleveland but I have them now.
The US team met before they left for practice everyday. Had a picture of a gold medal showing in the room they met.
In their notebooks: Pg 1 Picture of a Gold Medal (GOAL), Pg 2 Schedule (ROAD MAP) Pg 3 Standards (HOW THEY WERE GOING TO LIVE).
No comments:
Post a Comment