Thanks Knox!!

Friday- 5pm- Women vs. Ripon
Friday- 7pm- Men vs. Ripon
Saturday- 2pm- Women vs. Carroll
Saturday- 4pm- Men vs. Carroll
I have had a lot of fun this fall/winter with the Knox men's and women's basketball teams. Back in October when Knox men started, they were short one coach and they let me come and help in some practices. It was really a lot of fun to work with the men and to work with college players. I was impressed with how hard they practiced, and I was blown away by how well they responded to coaching, even if it was a high school girls coach.

Tonight I had the honor of being able to go down and talk with the Knox women's team for over an hour. As a Knox alum, it really meant a lot to me to be asked to go down. As an audience they were tremendous. As college athletes they were so impressive with their attentiveness, their questions, and their politeness. It was really a great experience.

We had a chance to talk about Knox education, basketball, and shared things we like and dislike!



Some of the things we talked about:

1- The value of my Knox education- I really feel that Knox with their small classes allowed me to develop communication skills they have helped me my entire life.

2- Use your basketball experience when you go out in the world- having played four years of college athletics says something about you, that separates you from others.

3- Enjoy the experience- you can never go back.

4- Why did we go to the "system" at GHS?  We hoped to build greater enthusiasm and get our players to play harder.

5- What have been our experiences?
- It increases chances for upsetting people and of being upset also.
- Don't listen to the critics.

6- After games, don't question the strategy, examine your execution of the strategy.

7- I believe that this style is a great fit for Knox and for Knox players.
- As I have watched Knox the last couple years, the thing that stands out to me is that they have players who play hard. I know coaches throw that phrase out a lot, but the Knox women seem like they "get it," they have always played unselfishly and they have played hard. They compete. This style is made for players who are all about intensity.
- They have players who are good defensively. I believe this style plays into their strengths as players.

8- I gave them a survey which asked them what they wanted from their Knox basketball experience. After having watched them play last year, watched them play this summer, and watched some of their practices, I was pretty sure I knew what their answers would center around. Their team personality is-
- Be a team that is unselfish and develops a team spirit.
- Be a team that people respect for how hard they play.
- Be a team that competes in each game, with teammates who treat it as important.

I feel that with this aggressive, uptempo style, they will have a chance to be that kind of team this year. I look forward to watching them, and I really hope to see their joy when it all works and they experience victory.

It was really nice of them to invite me, and it was really nice to be able to get interact with them. They have played in a manner that has made this Knox alum proud. Good luck- we're pulling for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Team Basketball Gameseva

600 x 400 px | 286.65 kB  Team Basketball GameSeva: Revolutionizing Sports Entertainment and Engagement In the ever-evolving landscape ...