Craig Hillier & Cross Country


I had an opportunity to coach cross country for 18 years at GHS. I knew nothing about the sport when I took over in 1974, and I knew little about it when I retired. But it is a great sport, I loved coaching cross country.

When you coach cross country you learn a lot about work ethic, motivation, and recruitment. While I did not know a lot about cross country, I learned a lot about it that helped me become a better basketball coach.


One of the runners I got to work with was Craig Hillier. He ran one year for me in cross country at Galesburg before finishing up at Knoxville. Craig was the ultimate in terms of competing, and now I get to teach across the hall from him in social studies. He is a very good coach and a very good teacher.

Wanting to learn more from cross country, I asked him some questions.

What is your best memory as a runner? 
Finishing 4th in the 1600m at the IHSA State Finals with a time of 4:23

You had an opportunity to be coached by your father. What was good and bad about that?
It was good in that I knew he was making the workouts to fit my running style.  The bad was that when somebody messed up, I was the one that heard about it.

How do you deal with your son being a runner?
It is the hardest thing I have encountered!  I don’t want to force things on him, but I have the knowledge to make him into a better runner.  That is starting to take hold with him.  My youngest son tries hard and is a good listener but is running against junior high kids, and he is only a 5th grader.

What are some of your favorite experiences as a coach? 
4x800 relays have finished in the top 100 in the nation for 2 out of 3 years.  Greg Whittle being crowned a state champion.  4x800 state champions in Greg Whittle, Luke Junk, Will Remmes, and Josh Thomas.  Bringing home a state trophy for 3rd place in CC in 2008 and celebrating with my father who had won a state trophy a couple of years earlier.  Coaching 15 state medalists in track and field since 2004.

What is something people don't know about cc? 
 Many do not know that the lowest score wins!

Cross country coaching is a lot about motivation. What lessons have you learned about motivation as you have coached? 
Motivation and team chemistry are the keys to success.  If you are not motivated to achieve when nobody is watching, it probably is not going to happen for you.  Kids who are willing to do something for the good of the team instead of thinking of the themselves promotes team unity.  That in itself can take less talented teams and make them better.

What lessons do you hope your cross country runners take with them? 
Giving up the good for the great…learning the sacrifices that need to be made to be the best at what you do!  I also believe that runners I have coached have learned many life lessons from their achievements as well as their mistakes.

You are a big time Bears fan, how did that happen? Aren't cc runners supposed to dislike football? 
As Tom Hawkins has always told me, I am not your typical track and cross country coach.  I am laid back at times but will really push you to achieve something and the athlete is going to learn how to endure pain.

What is your best and worst memory as a Bear fan? 
The Bears of the late 1990s…holy cow I went to Soldier Field tons just to watch them get crushed.  The Bears QB rodeo is another issue…Steve Stenstrom, Moses Moreno, Cade McKnown, Shane Mathews, Henry Burris, Craig Krenzel, and Kordell Stewart….WOW!

If you are the Bears coach, any changes you make? 
I would be hitting the free agent market this off season and finding 3 more wide receivers besides Earl Bennett!

Did you ever play basketball? Describe your game. 
Yes, I actually played a lot as an 8th grader and freshman in high school.  My game was to be moving constantly to tire out the defense.  I like to cut and slash, then kick it out for the 3 pointer.  Raining 3s is the name of the game!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Team Basketball Gameseva

600 x 400 px | 286.65 kB  Team Basketball GameSeva: Revolutionizing Sports Entertainment and Engagement In the ever-evolving landscape ...