Jessica Howard at IBCA All-Star Game

Jessica Howard played in the Illinois Basketball Coach's Association All-Star game on Saturday, June 18. I asked her to give her thoughts on the game.


 As it got close to going, were you excited or scared?


I actually didn’t want to go because I didn’t know anyone and I thought I wouldn’t have fun.


Describe the weekend in terms of things you did besides the game.


Once I got there on Friday afternoon, I checked in and got my dorm room and also the uniforms and shoes they gave us.  My roommate was Mariah Nimmo from Morton, who was really nice.  We had practice about an hour after we got there and then that night all the players, parents, and the coaches went to a banquet.  Chuck Rolinski (the organizer) announced everyone from each team and their parents and then we got to eat dinner.  That night after the banquet some of us hung out and played cards. Saturday morning we had breakfast and then we scrimmaged against the 1A/2A South team.  After practice we had until 4 to pretty much do what we wanted, so I ate a lot and took a nap (I know you are probably shocked that I ate a lot).   


Who were players you met who you enjoyed and considered friends by the end of the weekend.

Victoria May (Riverdale), Shelby Steger (Whethersfield), Mariah Nimmo (Morton), Paige Nord (Ridgeview, she is going to Monmouth), Cierra Gaines (Edwardsville), and Simon Law (Marian Catholic).

Who were your coaches?

The head coach was Jeff Lonnon, who is the head coach at Mt. Vernon High School.  His assistant for the game was his assistant from Mt. Vernon.  

How was it playing more traditional style? Could you guard people?

It was kind of weird because it was a lot slower than the system.  I did feel that playing the system helped me to become better at reading where someone was going to pass and getting a steal.  I was really nervous that I would not be able to guard anyone, but I surprised myself because I was able to stick with most everyone that I guarded.

Of the players on either team- who are ones headed for DI basketball?

There was a girl from the 3A/4A North team that is going to Wisconsin to play, she was 6’2”.  Her name is Jacki Gulczynski.  I’m not sure who else is going DI.  There was a girl there, Jasmine Plummer, who is from East Aurora High School and the movie Long Shots is based on her life.  I thought that was really cool, but I haven’t seen the movie yet.  She was very quick and on one play she crossed me up and I thought I was going to break my ankle ha-ha.

(Editor's Note- What a thrill it would be to have anything to do with anything related to Wisconsin- Go Badgers!!)

 If you had to bet, who did you play with or against who will play in the WNBA?

Hmmm.. maybe the girl going to Wisconsin.

How did you do in the game? What were your personal highlights?

I think I did alright in the game.  I was really nervous that I wouldn’t make any 3’s because that morning at the scrimmage I could not hit the broad side of a barn, but I actually went 2 for 2.  My personal highlight was blocking a 6’4’’ girl.  I felt like Sadee :)

Are you glad you did it?

I am glad I played.  It was fun!  And my family enjoyed it a lot too.

Did anyone have more family there than you did?

Ha-ha, no I don’t think so.  The whole crew, minus the daisies, was there

No comments:

Post a Comment

Team Basketball Gameseva

600 x 400 px | 286.65 kB  Team Basketball GameSeva: Revolutionizing Sports Entertainment and Engagement In the ever-evolving landscape ...