WHAT'S YOUR DEFENSIVE LANGUAUGE


As I study great defensive teams, I am continuing to see a common denominator that sets them apart from the rest. It’s the language they use. I don’t want to undermine the importance of effort, but effort without communication is useless. Since communication is based upon a language, having a communication system in place is just as critical as having offensive and defensive systems. The language we use as coaches must be understood and used by the players. It doesn’t do our teams any good if the coaches use a language that can’t be comprehended because it’s too difficult or too long. Ultimately, the rise and fall of defense boils down to having an effective communication system that is combined with intense effort. I want to share 4 characteristics your language must have in order to have success defensively:


  1. It must be consistent. It is imperative that the language that is used to describe an action is the same word or phrase every single time.
  2. It must be clear. When the language is consistent it then becomes clear, allowing no doubt regarding the term that is used to describe an action. Its essential that players talk clearly by using the Early…Loud…Continious method. I believe clarity empowers an athlete to perform at their highest potential.
  3. It must be concise. Using as few words as possible to communicate defensively will greatly benefit a team defensively. Less is more when it comes to communication. This allows for ELC to be very effective.
  4. It must not be complicated. Your language must not be so complicated that the players have difficulty understanding. What really matters is that the players understand the language. If your language is consistent, clear, and concise, it won’t be complicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Team Basketball Gameseva

600 x 400 px | 286.65 kB  Team Basketball GameSeva: Revolutionizing Sports Entertainment and Engagement In the ever-evolving landscape ...