Les Miles & Mike Rux

The question is-- Who did I have pizza with one night in Ann Arbor?

The answer-- Mike Rux and Les Miles.



From about 1988 thru about 2003, the girls basketball team went each summer to the University of Michigan team camp. One evening each week, they would have all of the coaches for a pizza party at the Crisler Arena. One summer, one of the Michigan women's assistant coaches had her fiance drop in for the party. The fiance was Michigan assistant football coach, Les Miles.

While the future Kathy Miles was busy hosting the camp coaches, Coach Rux and I ended up at a table for the evening chatting with Les Miles. He was very down to earth and easy to talk to. He had some great stories about the world of DI college football. One I remember was when he told us how a coach at an opposing school had told one of their recruits Michigan was a good school but it is tough to go 4 years not drinking the water- the coach had told the recruit the water supply at Ann Arbor had a disease in it.

Both Rux and I tried to share some of our stories from playing high school football, but Miles did not seem interested. I do remember Coach Rux tried to share some tips on last minute clock management, but Miles just didn't seem to pay attention. I think there are some times he probably wishes he had listened better.

So Coach Rux and I are waiting to see if Les Miles is hired as the next Michigan coach if in the initial press conference he mentions the evening we shared pizza in the M Room of Crisler Arena.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Team Basketball Gameseva

600 x 400 px | 286.65 kB  Team Basketball GameSeva: Revolutionizing Sports Entertainment and Engagement In the ever-evolving landscape ...