THE SECOND TIME AROUND

I was reading through Coaching Basketball which was edited by Jerry Krause and Ralph Pim. I found an article written in 1979 by Everett Dean who won the national championship at Stanford in 1942. He shares his thoughts about what he would do if he had to do it all over again.

  1. I think the art of communication is a must when working with people. It comes naturally for some and with difficulty for others.
  2. I would master the fundamentals of the English language by taking all the basic English courses possible. I would try to be articulate in expressing myself while coaching and at other times.
  3. I would try to be an avid reader of good material, thus keeping my mind alert and making myself a broader person.
  4. I would work for good relationships with the athletic department, the administration, the students, and the alumni.
  5. A fine example of good public relations would be the day when the university chairperson for a national fund-raising drive to build a new bui9lding on the campus. This kind of service helps our profession.
  6. It is good public relations to join your faculty club. Many faculty members are red hot basketball fans and want to meet the coach.
  7. There are many examples of good public relations within the community, and I would take public speaking courses to help my public speaking.
  8. I would take courses in counseling and guidance because they would be valuable in coaching and in other ways.
  9. I would be interested in boys' and girls' summer camps, because they hold great possibilities for coaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Team Basketball Gameseva

600 x 400 px | 286.65 kB  Team Basketball GameSeva: Revolutionizing Sports Entertainment and Engagement In the ever-evolving landscape ...