Al Weiss is the President of Operations for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, here are his thoughts on Servant Leadership:
My goal is to empower those I lead to the fullest potential their capability and skills will allow. I
let them run things, and I’m there when they need my help.
Being a servant leader says, “I care about your development as much as I do my own.”
When you serve as a leader, you do not lose one ounce of your ability to be the boss.
I have learned not to view success by the world’s standards in which success is fleeting, based on
what you did last. Set a list of priorities, and then live according to them. When you focus on
those priorities, things fall into place.
If you’re not disciplined, then you won’t stay in shape. Put discipline into place and use it to your
fullest advantage. You can’t add hours to your day, but you can use the hours you have more
effectively.
Action Plan:
Al Weiss defined success as living according to priorities. List the priorities you have at
work, with your family, in your leisure time, and in your community. After you have
your top priorities on paper, do an honest self-assessment. Which priorities are in danger
of being neglected? Which priorities seem to be taking most of your time and attention?
Servant leadership involves an intentional investment in the progress of those you lead.
This week, invest in one member of your team. Ideas include buying them a training
resource, purchasing them a ticket to a professional development workshop, or getting to
know them better over lunch.
No comments:
Post a Comment